1. Random acts of kindness, however simple, really do brighten a person's day. Remember that time about a year ago when someone I didn't know bought me that wallet? I think about that ALL THE TIME. And every time I think of it it makes me feel good. Recently I was grocery shopping with the kids by myself (which was my first mistake...) and I was loading the groceries and the kids into the car when a lady passed by and asked me if she could return my cart for me. Such a simple thing, yet it has left a lasting impression. I really didn't want to return that cart (though I would have) and she saw a need, a simple need, and she filled it.
2. Accept these simple acts of kindness with kindness and gratitude. Recently the kids and I decided to do our own act of kindness for our neighbors. We were waiting for a ride somewhere and were outside playing while we waited. It was garbage day and everyone still had their garbage bins out, now hauling the garbage bins in is probably my least favorite thing to do, so we thought that we would bring some of our neighbors bins in. The first house went well so we headed to the second house. We were met half way by a very bleary eyed neighbor who was a little suspicious. He couldn't be convinced that we were just doing something nice for them. He thought we were campaigning. Because I always see a woman in her yoga pants and 2 kids campaigning... (but that is beside the point...) I left after our brief conversation feeling awkward. But I learned that it is ok to be grateful.
3. I just learned about this Beauty Redefined campaign. I think it is a really great thing and I hope that I can raise my children to feel good about themselves ALWAYS. And to know that the media should not define what is beautiful and worthwhile.
4. I found what I think is the best Christmas advent that I have ever seen. I saw it on Delia Creates. It is the box advent on there- Every night I will fill it with something we will do or read or get the next day. Every day is different and I don't have to do too much prep. I just sit down for a few minutes the night before and determine what would be best for us to do the next day. I love it. And I know Ruby will too.
5. We are going to get our first Christmas tree ever. Not because we don't celebrate but because this will be the first Christmas that we spend just us. It is exciting but if I am being honest I am already missing family...
6. I have been super busy making presents and ordering presents online... One of my favorite things about living in the USA is the shopping. I have gotten so many amazing deals. As an example- recently I went to Old Navy when they had a special for 75% off all outerwear and I had Old Navy Bucks. I bought 2 winter coats for me, 2 for Justin, a pair of running pants, 2 skirts and a maxi dress all for 60 dollars. I saved 350 dollars that trip. It was amazing. I felt like an extreme couponer and was on a 'shopping deal' high for days!
7. You've had them fried, scrambled, hard boiled, and poached but have you ever had them baked? One of Justin's many experiments- but this one went wrong. Very wrong. Baked eggs are a no go. Weird, hard, inedible outer crust and weird texture. The pictures say everything.
We look happy here- its all a ruse.
8. I love pinterest. Such great ideas all in one place. What could be better than that? I am making this for our christmas tree skirt. I will also be making all of our decorations- since we have none. I can see a lot of our advent activities being based around making decorations. I am thinking of stringing fresh cranberries as garland- does that even work or do they just go bad?
9. I am grateful that there is no snow on the ground for my birthday. It was my one birthday wish- and it happened! Ruby and I are definitely having a little disagreement about snow. She claims she loves it and she CANNOT believe that I don't. She is constantly trying to convince me that I like snow. It makes me laugh.
10. Two things that can always make me feel better- a clean house and exercise. A clean house always feel better than a dirty house. If ever I feel super lazy or gross I know it has to do with the state of my house. So I 'get up off of that thing and (clean) till I feel betta' (that is a real song- it doesn't say clean it says shake it- does any one else know what I am talking about? I don't know what song it is but I think it is pretty widely known.)
11. I love INSANITY. The work out. Justin and I have been doing it for 4 weeks straight. It is just good to have a common goal and motivate each other and do something together.
12. Justin meet Justin.
Justin took this picture at Elder Beerman (a department store here) with a Justin Bieber billboard. It made me laugh because he came in the car trying to convince me that he met the Biebs. Not only is the flash bouncing off of J.Biebs but he is looking a little flat AND I watched him take that picture through the window of the store. It was awesome, especially for all the people watching the 30- something year old taking a picture with the fake Justin Bieber. I love that man of mine...
I am now 28 and have embraced it surprisingly easily. I look forward to what is to come in this life of mine.